Was and were

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Was and were


Was/were

Was and were


am/is (present) - was (past)

I am tired.(now)           I was tired last night
Where is Ann? (now)        Where was Ann yesterday?
The weather is good today. The weather was good last week.

are(present) - were (past)

You are late. (now)         You were late yesterday.
They aren't here. (now)     They weren't here last Sunday.

Positive

I was, he was, she was, it was, we were, you were, they were.

Negative

I wasn't, he wasn't, she wasn't, it wasn't, we weren't. you weren't. they weren't.

Question

Was I?, Was he?, Was she?, Was it?, Were we?, Were you?, Were they?


  • Last year Rachel was 22, so she is 23 now.
  • When I was a child, I was afraid of dogs.
  • We were hungry after the journey but we weren't tired.
  • The hotel was comfortable but it wasn't expensive?
  • Was the weather good when you were on holiday?
  • Those shoes are nice. Were they expensive?
  • Why were you late this morning?


Short answers

Yes, I/he/she/it was.
Yes, we/you/they were.

No,  I/he/she/it wasn't.
No, we/you/they weren't.


  • Were you late?  No, I wasn't.
  • Was Ted at work yesterday?  Yes, he was.
  • Were Sue and Steve at the party?  No, they weren't.


0 comments :

Post a Comment