I didn't and did you?

Monday, March 11, 2019

I didn't and did you?


I didn't/ did you? (past simple negative and question)

I didn't and did you?

We use did in past simple negatives and question:

Infinitive  

Play, Start, Watch, Have, See, Do, Go.

Positive

I played, we started, you watched, they had, he saw, she did, it went.

Negative

I didn't play, We didn't start, You didn't watch. They didn't have, He didn't see, She didn't do, It didn't go.

Question

Did I play?, Did we start?, Did you watch?, Did they have?, Did he see?, Did she do?, Did it go?.

Do/Does (present) - did(past)

I don't watch television very often.
I didn't watch television yesterday.
Does she often go away?
Did she go away last week?

We use did / didn't + infinitive (watch/play/go etc.)

  • I watched but I didn't watch they
  • went but did they go?
  • he had but he didn't have.
  • you did but did you do?
  • I played tennis yesterday but I didn't win.
  • Did you do the shopping?  No, I didn't have time.
  • We went to the cinema but we didn't enjoy the film.

Study the word order in question:


  • Did your sister phone you?
  • What did you do yesterday evening?
  • How did the accident happen?
  • where did your parents go for their holiday?

Short answers

Yes, I/we/you/they/he/she/it did.
No, I/we/you/they/he/she/it didn't.


  • Did you see joe yesterday? No, I didn't.
  • Did it rain on Sunday? Yes, it did.
  • Did Helen come to the party? No, she didn't.
  • Did your parents have a good holiday? yes, they did. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment