Short Forms

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Short Forms


Short Forms  (He's/I' d/Don't etc.)

Short forms


1.  In spoken English, we usually pronounce 'I am' as one word. the short form (I'm) is a way of writing this:


I am           = I'm     
It is            = it's       
they have  = they've 

  • I'm feeling tired this morning
  • 'do you like this jacket?'   'yes, it's very nice'
  • 'where are your friends?'  They've gone home.

When we write short forms, we use' (an apostrophe):

I am          = I'm
He is         = he's
you have   = you've
she will     = she'll


2.  We use these forms with I/he/she etc.


am     = 'm
is       = 's
are     ='re
have  = 've
has    = 's
had    = 'd
will    = 'll
would = 'd
  • I've got some new shoes.
  • We'll probably go out this evening.
  • It's at 10 O'clock. you're late again
s' = is or has:
  •  She's going out this evening. (she's going = she is going)
  •  She's going out. (she's gone = she has gone)
'd = would or had:
  • A: what would you like to eat?
  • B: I'd like a salad, please. (I'd like = I would like)
  • I told the police that I'd lost my passport. (I'd lost = I had lost)

Do not use 'm/'s/'d etc. at the end of a sentences 

  • 'Are you tired?'   'yes, I am.'

3.  We use short forms with I/you/he/she etc. but you can use short forms (especially's) with other words too:

  • Who's your favourite singer? (=who is)
  • what's the time?
  • there's a big tree in the garden.
  • my sister's working in London.
  • paul's gone out.
  • what colour's your car?

4.  Negative Short forms


isn't = is not
aren't = are not
wasn't = was not
weren't = were not
hasn't = has not
haven't = have not
hadn't = had not
don't  = do not
doesn't = does not
didn't  = did not
can't = cannot
couldn't = could not
won't = will not
wouldn't = would not
shouldn't = should not
mustn't = must not
needn't = need not

  • We went to her house but she wasn't at home
  • 'where's David?'  'I don't know. i haven't seen him.
  • you work all the time. you shouldn't work so hard.
  • I won't be here tomorrow. 

5.  s' (apostrophe + s)  's  can mean different things.


'S = (is or has)
Let's  = (lets the weather is nice. let's go out.)
Ann's camera =  (her camera / my brother's car (= his car) / the manager's office 9his/her office.)

Compare:


  • Ann's camera was very expensive. (Ann's camera = her camera)
  • Ann's a very good photographer. (Ann's = Ann is)
  • Ann's got a new camera. (Ann's got = Ann has got)




0 comments :

Post a Comment