Past Indefinite Tense

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Past Indefinite Tense


Past Indefinite Tense

Past Indefinite Tense


In this tense, action in the past tense is shown.

Read the rules given below:


  • To show past indefinite tense in the Sentence, we use the second form of the verb. [he said so] remember, that this is the only tense with its own stage of action in which the second form of the main verb is used.
  • In negative sentences, we use did not the + first form of the main verb. [i did not see her yesterday.] use never for did not ever, [i never went there] since it will be little right to say that I did not ever talk to her.
  • In interrogative sentences, did is placed before the subject, and after subject, the first form of the main verb is applied. A question mark is put at the end. In interro-negtive sentences, did is placed before the subject, and after the subject, the first form of the main verb is applied. A question mark is put at the end.
  • In interro-negative sentences, did+ subject+not+I form of the main verb.
  • Also, to emphasise a thing or a fact, we use did, just in affirmative sentences in while the generally second form of the verb is used and did +I form.


Study the following sentences carefully:

(Affirmative Sentences)

You wrote a letter.
I gave him a book.
He caught a bird.
The clock struck twelve.
He abused you.
I received your telegram yesterday.
I soleved the sum.
India became independent in 1947
I won the first priza.
Gaya went wo gaya.


(Negative Sentence)

He did not warn you.
He did not learn the lesson.
He did not speck the truth.
He did not utter a word.
Rita did not take bath today.
The tailor thread the needle.
I did not sell my watch.
We did not go to school yesterday.
Rani did not wash the clothes.
Yesterday, my youngest brother did let me do the work.


(Interrogative and int-negative sentences)

Did Sita sing a song?
Did you buy a book?
DidKewall blow a whistle?
Did raj tell a lie?
Did she not go to the market?
Did you stnd first in the class?
Did you reach there in time?
Did you not wait for me?
Did he not save you from drowing?
Did he does not take part in games?

0 comments :

Post a Comment